Beckenham Junction Station. Opened 1857 as the terminus of the Mid-Kent Railway from London Bridge. Used by Charles Darwin on journeysbetween London and his home at Downe.
St George’s Church. Built 1885-7 on site of a pre-12th century church. The 13th century Lych Gate is thought to be the oldest in England. Adjacent are the Rawlins Almshouses, originally built 1694.
Site of Manor House. The house of the Lord of the Manor stood here from the 12th century until 1882. The Beckenham Local Board then used the building until 1932; now only the facade remains, with a new building behind. The Public Hall was built in 1883.
Former Police Station. This was the Police Station from 1885 to 2007. Now converted to commercial use and flats.
Thornton’s Corner. A local stationer’s family traded here for over 70 years, and published the former Beckenham Journal newspaper.
Christ Church. Built 1876-1901 with halls and a schoolhouse. The halls were used as a military hospital during WWI.
The George Inn. Built mid-17th century it is the oldest building in the High Street. It was a stopping place for the London to Dover horse drawn stagecoach.
Kelsey Square. This group of 19th century workers cottages was at the entrance to the former Kelsey Estate, with a fire station on the corner. Note the water pump on the side wall. At the rear is the historic Coach and Horses public house.
Former Three Tuns. Built 1902, as a public house until early 21st century. Famous in late 1960’s as venue of David Bowie’s Arts Lab. The village police station was adjacent to the left.
St Edmund of Canterbury Church. Opened1938 in Village Way, to the rear of the demolished Pavilion Cinema (1914-1933) on the High Street.
War Memorial. A 7.5 metre high stylised Celtic cross of Portland stone emblazoned with St George and the Dragon in high relief. Unveiled 1921
Odeon Cinema. Built 1930. An Art-Deco building originally named the Regal. It once included a ballroom and restaurant before conversion to a multi-screen cinema in the 1970’s.