Beckenham Heritage Plaques
Beckenham High Street Plaques
  • Beckenham Junction Station. Opened 1857 as the terminus of the Mid-Kent Railway from London Bridge.  Used by Charles Darwin on journeysbetween London and his home at Downe.

  • St George’s Church.  Built 1885-7 on site of a pre-12th century church. The 13th century Lych Gate is thought to be the oldest in England.  Adjacent are the Rawlins Almshouses, originally built 1694.

  • Site of Manor House.  The house of the Lord of the Manor stood here from the 12th century until 1882. The Beckenham Local Board then used the building until 1932; now only the facade remains, with a new building behind.  The Public Hall was built in 1883.

  • Former Police Station. This was the Police Station from 1885 to 2007.  Now converted to commercial use and flats.

  • Thornton’s Corner.   A local stationers family traded here for over 70 years, and published the former Beckenham Journal newspaper.

  • Christ Church.  Built 1876-1901 with halls and a schoolhouse. The halls were used as a military hospital during WWI.

  • The George Inn.  Built mid-17th century it is the oldest building in the High Street.  It was a stopping place for the London to Dover horse drawn stagecoach.

  • Kelsey Square.  This group of 19th century workers cottages was at the entrance to the former Kelsey Estate, with a fire station on the corner.   Note the water pump on the side wall.  At the rear is the historic Coach and Horses public house.

  • Former Three Tuns.  Built 1902, as a public house until early 21st century.  Famous in late 1960s as venue of David Bowies Arts Lab.  The village police station was adjacent to the left.

  • St Edmund of Canterbury Church.  Opened1938 in Village Way, to the rear of the demolished Pavilion Cinema (1914-1933) on the High Street.

  • War Memorial.  A 7.5 metre high stylised Celtic cross of Portland stone emblazoned with St George and the Dragon in high relief.  Unveiled 1921

  • Odeon Cinema.  Built 1930.  An Art-Deco building originally named the Regal.  It once included a ballroom and restaurant before conversion to a multi-screen cinema in the 1970s.
Contact Us
Email:      Colin Hughes